Our Candle Story
Project background - Poverty and social issues
- The increase in poverty and the gap between the rich and poor
leads to domestic violence, drug addiction, increase in crimes,
which are all significant issues in our society.
- The social gap in New Zealand is increasing rapidly. 2015 marked
the highest poverty ratio among OECD nations. Although people
in poverty make a living from government support, they are
unable to overcome poverty and are losing the will to become
The goal of the project
- To make a better world with those without homes
- Provide education and work opportunities for people in poverty, walking alongside them to be healthy members of our society.
- Provide a place to learn the concept of work through production
- Provide opportunities of successful economic activity through the income from the candle sales.
- Improve perception towards people in poverty and the homeless with the quality and scent of the candles.